Monday, August 6, 2018

MONA LISA SMILED AT ME!

Monday, 7 August 2018
Golden Tulip Hotel/CDG (http://www.goldentulipcdgvillepinte.com/)
Paris, France (Roissy)
95F, sunny

What an adventure today at the Louvre! So many people, so much heat! It took us a bit to figure out the system of where to go inside and how to get there, at what has to be one of the busiest art museums in the world. According to statistics I read, the Louvre had 8.1 million visitors in 2017, which would average over 22,000 a day. No wonder it was crowded! Good thing Tim did not know about that beforehand. Thankfully I had ordered tickets online so we did not have to wait to go to the first area, Western European art from the 1400s-1800s.

There was no signage about taking photos and nearly everyone had a camera/phone/iPad and all were taking photos by the hundreds. There was not even a sign that said no flash allowed, but I did not use a flash for any of my photos. I checked the museum’s use of one’s own photography and it seems that I may post a photos that I took myself of art in the main exhibit areas. 

Since it is already 10 p.m. tonight, I better get to business with the photos. As a side note, we saw Mike Hanlon this morning, our tour guide. He is going to help me with plans (if it works out) to honor William Hendershott at the St. Mihiel American Cemetery where he is buried. The VFW in Arcade, New York, is named after him and Arthur Manness, who was also killed in France.



Leonardo DaVinci's Mona Lisa. To get this photo I had to wait in line, get shoved around, but I was able to take two photos, one with my DSLR and one with my cell phone! I told Tim that I doubted anyone would give me my own private tour of the Louvre so I might as well make the best of  it! Fifty years ago, the last time I was at the Louvre, I didn't even have a camera!

The crowd in another room in the Louvre



Winged Victory of Samothrace, the first "objet d'art" that I saw in the Louvre in 1968. Hellenistic sculpture of the Goddess Nike c. 200-190 BC.


Wilting Janie with Winged Victory-Inside the "Pyramid" at the Louvre


Inside the "Pyramid" at the Louvre


The "Pyramid" -- photo taken from window inside the Louvre

Tim studying Flemish,  Fishmarket,  by painter Frans Snyder, Flemish painter, 1579-1657


Napoleon's Apartments--the dining room. There was seating for about 48 people.


After enjoying the Louvre for many hours, we had dinner at Au Bon Couscous. Contrary to what I said yeterday, it was just too tempting to have a dish, couscous poulet (an Algerian dish)
that I loved so much when I went to school in Aix en Provence.


After the Louvre, we went on another bus ride and I spotted this 
World War I monument near the Eiffel Tower.


TK’s Takes: The RER transit system needs ventilation—it was boiling as we traveled both to Paris, and back to Roissy. The bacon at the breakfast buffet is the best he has ever had, very thick and very tasty. He also noted a mouse in the rail track, reminiscent of his noticing a rat in the NYC metro last year. Why is he even looking for that? He had more thoughts, but Janie did not write them down for him……

Note to B1 and B2: I was able to get something for both of you today!! See if you can figure it out from this photo!!


3 comments:

  1. At least Erie-ites aren't the only ones wilting! But then, sweating in Paris is much classier, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos. Good job on spying the WWI monument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I love the photos you are sharing! Sounds like the heat was oppressive. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete