Tuesday, July 31, 2018

GREAT WAR, GREAT MEN/SERENDIPITY/WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?


Erie, Pennsylvania
31 July 2018
Sometimes I wonder if I find things to do to keep me from doing what I should be doing…

Basically, I am packed, and my research materials are organized and ready to go. I have two bags, a 24-inch wheeled with clothes, etc. and a sort of small duffel with my DSLR camera, laptop, my research, umbrella, pens, pencils, basically an abbreviated office. In 2015 we ended up having to carry our luggage up two flights of steep stairs in one of our hotels and I was so glad I packed light. I also cannot lift a bag into an overhead bin and like to have “my office” accessible under the seat in front of me. 

Tim, on the other hand, has decided to use a 27 inch wheeled bag this time. He encouraged me to do the same. In my mind, I know that no one is going to say, “Here, let me help you with all of your luggage.” I need to do it myself, hence my philosophy. We shall see if Tim has any regrets.

My bags--the duffel looks larger than it really is!


Great War, Great Men.  Andrew J. Capets compiled this book about the 313th Machine Gun Battalion using first hand accounts (previously unpublished letters and journals) of more than a dozen soldiers who served together during the Great War, just published in 2017. Capets’ commentary, insight, and research make the individual pieces cohesive.



Many of the soldiers of the 313th were from the Erie County, Pennsylvania area and there was even a club on Peach Street, Erie, now the Kings Rook Club. My cousin, Lynn C. Parker, was in the 80th Division, 313th Machine Gun Battalion and this book gave me better understanding of his experience. Andrew, whose grandfather served in the same company that Parker did, has a Facebook page dedicated to the 313th.  I contacted him through that and today we had a great conversation about this battalion, my cousin, his research, and publishing.
Great War, Great Men.  Andrew J. Capets. CreateSpace, 2017.  Website with maps, photos, more: 
https://goodwargreatmen.com/313/index.php

The same time I heard from Andrew Capets, I also heard from Lynn Parker’s great granddaughter—I just found her on Ancestry. I so hope that we can make a connection—that is serendipity.


The Great War: American Experience/PBS
I have one more hour to watch of this very well done six hour series about World War I on PBS. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to help write the Medal of Honor National Curriculum, commissioned by the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation [in committee with the School District, City of Erie, Pennsylvania]. That is one reason why I found the story of William Henry Johnson so compelling.  Our tour guide, Michael Hanlon, is in France right now conducting a World War I tour for the families of Henry Johnson and another World War I Medal of Honor recipient William Shemin (4th Division).

From the Medal of Honor website:
Henry Johnson, Medal of Honor Recipient
Area of Operation: Argonne Forest, Champagne, France
Position: Sentry
Date of Action: 15 May 1918
Then-Pvt. Henry Johnson served as a member of Company C, 369th Infantry Regiment, 93rd Division, American Expeditionary Forces, during combat operations against the enemy on the front lines of the Western Front in France.
While on night sentry duty, May 15, 1918, Johnson and a fellow Soldier, Pvt. Needham Roberts, received a surprise attack by a German raiding party consisting of at least 12 soldiers.
While under intense enemy fire and despite receiving significant wounds, Johnson mounted a brave retaliation resulting in several enemy casualties. When his fellow Soldier was badly wounded, Johnson prevented him from being taken prisoner by German forces.
Johnson exposed himself to grave danger by advancing from his position to engage an enemy soldier in hand-to-hand combat. Wielding only a knife and being seriously wounded, Johnson continued fighting, took his Bolo knife and stabbed it through an enemy soldier's head.
Displaying great courage, Johnson held back the enemy force until they retreated. The enemy raid's failure to secure prisoners was due to the bravery and resistance of Johnson and his fellow comrade. The effect of their fierce fighting resulted in the increased vigilance and confidence of the 369th Infantry Regiment.
Awards: Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Distinguished Service Cross, Croix de guerre 1914-1918  

Here's why you can't visit the Statue of Liberty's torch

From Friend Heather—she had not heard this story and neither have I. So many things connect to the Great War.
An Army-Air Force Connection?
Today I decided to look at my Great Aunt May Harvey Beardsley’s small black notebook again (for the gazillionth time). Aunt May was Archie’s sister and I am so indebted to her for keeping his letters written during the war to his mother as well as other artifacts. She also kept the family history. Several pages in the notebook are titled, “Harvey Soldiers,” where she recorded all the family names who served in the military from the Revolutionary War through World War II. I am quite sure three of Archie’s nephews served in World War I, but I cannot find documentation on Dayle Wanamaker. Today I noted more carefully what the notebook said:  "assigned to 9th Provisional Co. A.S.S.C. Madison Barracks Trans. Co. 4 USA. S.A.P Kodak Park Rochester, NY, photography in Air Force.” The "Air Force" was part of the Army from 1907 to 1947 when it was recognized as a separate branch of the service.

I must follow up on this little clue. Since I know he died in a VA hospital, I am quite sure that her served during the time of the Great War. Perhaps he was never sent to France. More research!!

ETD/Erie, PA to Toronto, Ontario: 2 August 2018—countdown!


My Field Journal


Field Journal-Back
Top row--Archie's shoulder patches
2nd row: 90th Division (Tough Ombres for Texas Oklahoma), 
28th Division (Keystone), and the 80th Division  (Blue Ridge)


Closeup of the Stenay-Baalon area


My dear sister in law Marge made this great bag for me. 
I will have my computer and research materials in it as we visit 
battlefields, cemeteries, and museums.
Archie sent a dried fern frond home, so Marge put an 
embroidered fern on the clasp.

Marge also made these embroidered stars. I thought I might need thank 
you notes and little gifts along the way.






5 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your packing skills. I'm looking forward to Packing 101 when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ann--will do! Tim has talked me into the wheeled carry by saying he would put it in the overhead bin for me. I also figured out how to have good access to my research and book during the flight. This carry on is smaller than what the European flight standards are--my worries would be my laptop and my camera. I bought a neoprene case that fits my DSLR camera snuggly and I put that in a small pladded cooler, not unlike a padded lunch bag. I have a padded case for the laptop and it fits into a padded sleeve in the carry on. I am sure you remember my stories - after a flight to Europe, I opened up my camera case and the back viewfinder display was cracked. Thank goodness the camera still worked. I had two laptops with me on another trip and someone behind me in the security line was in a hurry. He shoved my belongings and both laptops fell on the floor. I was not so lucky that time. I am very protective of these essential items, more so now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are very wise to pack light. Duane and do the same, but for some reason he always seems to have a little extra room. On one of our first trips to Fance there was only room for one person and one small suitcase in the teeny tiny elevator. The alternative was many flights of stairs. We were thankful we traveled light as we made train and bus connections as well. Safe travels, friend. I know this trip is the very thing that will inspire you to finish your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindi! I love those teeny tiny elevators in Europe! Tim did inform me that his checked luggage is 26 inches, not 27. I can tell you it is FULL.

      Delete